Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Rockette Holiday Spectacular: featuring, Kickboxing, Kickstarting My Writing, and one Kickass Auction

Hello, Reader! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving and paid due respect to our Lord and Master Tom the Turkey.

Last night I taught my first kickboxing class in THREE years! My knee only complained a little, and my ankle hasn't hurt much since my physical therapist broke up the scar tissue a year ago, so that was a relief. I feel like I've reclaimed a part of myself that I thought was lost forever.

Today I'm staring down the last day of NaNoWriMo. I didn't spend a single moment writing over last week. I was too busy traveling and visiting with family and friends. Maybe if I was like Neil Gaiman, I would have managed to hide away and write in a closet or something, but I'm not.

Alas, it's now the final day of NaNo and I've only got 16,500 words out of the 50,000 required to "win." Needless to say, I don't expect to win in the conventional sense. However, NaNo did help me break through my revision stagnation and actually commit to a new story. I plan to spend the rest of today writing as much as I can. Who knows? Maybe I'll hit 20,000....maybe.

I'm going to continue NaNo through the end of the year. That means no extensive revising of The Charmed Bracelet until January. It's killing me, because I've gotten some wonderful feedback on it, which has convinced me to age the novel down to young adult. I'm dying to jump in and start messing around with it. But for now, the new story needs my attention.

Apparently I'm one of those writers who enjoys revising more than first draft writing, and I don't want to be the tinkerer with one novel to her name who tweaks and polishes it up until the day she dies. No thank you.

That's the latest from me. Not too thrilling, but there it is. Here's something a little more interesting: Patrick Rothfus, author of the acclaimed fantasy novel The Name of the Wind, is running an awesome and extensive auction on his blog for his charity WorldBuilders. It's got tons of books and even some critiques up for grabs.

I admit, I have not yet read The Name of the Wind because I've been burnt out on High Fantasy lately, especially with a male protagonist. However, Husband read it and really liked it. Also, if you read his blog, you'll realize that Patrick must be an incredibly cool, nice guy as well as a very talented writer. So ch-ch-check out his auction and spread some holiday cheer!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, go you! I'm glad you're finishing off the first draft before starting to revise. Generation is often satisfying, once it is complete. Perhaps as satisfying as editing! (Perhaps.)

    ReplyDelete