Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Short n' Savory

Today I thought I'd be That Person and talk about what I ate.

YES. Food. I'm going there. Are you intrigued?

So, I'm having a rough week. Things started crashing in, I began to have Little Mermaid sea foam fantasies, I put on the Rufus Wainwright album that I'm no longer allowed to listen to, and the monsters started yammering in my ear and gnawing on my clothes.

Then I went to lunch with a friend and ate a toasted (Husband says it's called "grilled" but I think not) cheese sandwich--provolone cheese with sourdough bread and LOTS of butter. Oh, it was good. Gooey, melty, buttery.(This is not the actual sandwich. I am too self conscious to take pictures of my food most of the time.) I also had chocolate milk.

And you know what? I felt a lot better. Spending an hour having lunch with a friend probably had something to do with it too.

That reminds me of when I was visiting Husband in Ireland while we were both studying abroad and I was stuck alone with one of his roommates for a few minutes. The roommate was a complete idiot. This term did not exist way back then in the distant past, but we would have called him a "brah."

(Urban Dictionary tells me "brah" is a Hawaian term for "bro" or "friend" but unfortunately in my opinion it now means some a*hole who may or may not play lacrosse and who likes to ice his friends--if you don't know what that means, I'm not going to tell you because it'll just make you die a little inside--at the most inopportune times.)

Anyway, Brah Roommate and I are sitting together awkwardly and so I say, "Isn't it amazing how heating something up can make it so much better? Like, cheese on bread is okay but melted cheese on toast is a meal." And his eyes went wide and he said, "Wow! That IS amazing!" And we had this moment where I thought to myself, "Brah Roommate, you are still an idiot and a jerk, but for right now we're cool." All because of toasted cheese, people.

If that's not magic, I don't know what is.

So, if you are also having a bad week/ month/ whatever--may I suggest a toasted cheese sandwich?
Even if you can't find a friend to lunch with, or the monsters are whispering that you have no friends, you might still consider having a toasted cheese sandwich of your own.

To my knowledge, toasted cheese sandwiches don't have magical healing properties.

But they MIGHT.

2 comments:

  1. aw, shucks. I'm sorry you've had such a hard week, and I'm glad you've found your cheese.

    But, from a place of experience, I have to say PUT DOWN THE RUFUS WAINRIGHT!!! Also, no Damien Rice, Ryan Adams, or Snow Patrol. K?

    God, I'm just giving you ideas, aren't I? You could always just skip out on it all and come to NY much earlier!!! I have a nice couch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I know, Rufus Wainwright is just not a good idea. Neither is Elliott Smith. I should stick with S Club 7 or something Brit Pop or K Pop.

    ReplyDelete