Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Paper Cranes for Japan

It's been a week since the massive earthquake rocked Japan. I'm a visual person so this BBC map and Week in Pictures helped give me an overall idea of the devastation, which I otherwise can't wrap my head around at all.

And one week later I'm still wondering, "What can we do?"

I'm sure you're wondering the same. Like many people, I donated to the Red Cross. What else is there?

Here's one idea: Host a Paper Crane Making Party.
DoSomething.org has partnered with Students Rebuild and Architecture for Humanity to raise money and inspire hope for Japan.

In the words of Students Rebuild, "...our goal is to collect 100,000 origami cranes from young people to represent 100 wishes for support and healing for Japan. A list of wishes will begin to appear when we receive the first 1,000 cranes by mail. These simple yet powerful gestures will trigger a $200,000 donation from the Bezos Family Foundation - $2 for each crane received - to Architecture for Humanity's reconstruction efforts in Japan. Once we reach our goal of 100,000 submissions, the cranes will be woven into an art installation - a symbolic gift from students around the globe to Japanese youth."


Here's What You Do:
(Instructions courtesy of Students Rebuild)

1. Invite your friends and family over. Do it tonight, tomorrow, Sunday afternoon, whenever...

2. Make paper cranes

3. Take a quick photo and upload it, along with a message of support to the Facebook page "Paper Cranes for Japan"

4. Turn your crane into dollars for reconstruction - and eventually an art installation - by mailing it to Students Rebuild. You can email info@studentsrebuild.org to receive a pre-paid shipping label for a large box in which to ship your cranes!

5. Send the box to: Students Rebuild 1700 7th Avenue STE 116 # 145 Seattle, WA 98101

And to sweeten the deal, here's a little contest: comment on this post with a link to your twitter, blog, or facebook where you shared this idea--you don't have to mention this blog, just Students Rebuild. For every link, I'll enter your name in a giveaway.

The winner will receive a special book from the used book store (which I will post here later today). So, sadly, I can only ship within the US. But still, please spread the word. Make paper cranes. Get involved.

And don't EVER give up.

2 comments:

  1. I posted on my blogspot.

    I'm tempted to click the Week in Pictures link, but I've already read a lot of articles with photos. I don't know if I want to see more. I just like when a post shows up once in a while about survivors, like one where a 4-month-old was found alive.

    ReplyDelete