Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Keeping an Open Mind

I've been doing everything in my power today to avoid facing the revisions I need to make on the climax of my novel. So far I've taken out the trash, organized the recycling, washed the dishes, checked email, talked to my twin sister, and--yes--even flossed. I'm running out of excuses.

Now, as you can see, I'm blogging.

But sooner or later I'm going to have to face the climax. Ugh! It needs something. It's not quite right. But I'm feeling a little cornered. I was just telling my twin sis that I don't want to end up like Stephenie Meyer with the end of Breaking Dawn. Don't get me wrong, my unfinished, unpublished novel does not compare to the end of a phenomenon of a series.

What I mean is that I was really disappointed with how the book went but when I read and watched interviews with Stephenie I saw that she had thought everything out so minutely and while listening to her, the reasoning made perfect sense. To her, that was the only way the story could end. Of course I disagreed but it reminded me how easy it is as a writer to lose perspective on your own story when you're in the middle of it.

So I'm trying to keep an open mind about how to bring this climax together. It doesn't help that whenever my husband or sister make a suggestion I give them a long explanation for why that couldn't possibly happen.

Well, I didn't say it was going to be easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment