Pages

Monday, July 6, 2009

Domestic Monsters

My twin sis and I have been working on what we've been calling "The Monster Book" for a while now. It's going to be organized like a field guide to domestic monsters. My idea came from the fact that I was very scared of monsters when I was a kid. When my parents tried to tell me that there was no such thing as monsters it only made me more frightened--I knew the truth! No one could convince me otherwise.

My husband was also afraid of monsters as a kid. He even slept with a light on in his room!! Imagine! My parents DID NOT allow that. Although I at least got to room with my sister. My husband was on the third floor with a closet that led directly into the attic. I would have been very scared of that! But one day he went to his grandmother's house and saw a stained glass sign in her window, which read, "God can't be everywhere at once. That's why he created monsters."

Okay, maybe that's not what it really said. Maybe it said, "God can't be everywhere at once. That's why he created mothers." But my husband misread it. That very night he told his mom he didn't need the light on anymore. He never looked back.

After comparing these two stories I had an idea: what if I could help kids to not fear monsters not by trying to convince them that they didn't exist but by showing that they are nothing to be afraid of? So I sat down and started The Monster Book.

Currently the monsters in the book are: Monster in the Close, Monster Under the Bed, Monster in the Attic, Monster in the Basement, Things That Go Bump in the Night, and another type of monster I made up that is similar to the type of trickster faeries known as brownies (currently without a name).

My question for you is: Have I left any monster out? If you know of any other monsters please let me know. I'd love to hear any suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment