Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Masked Ball

Today is going to be a Rubik's Cube of a revision day. I'm working on one troublesome scene that falls just about in the middle and has given me problems since I first wrote it. Basically its purpose keeps changing as I tweak other sections. I think I've finally figured out what to do with it, so I'm moving around chunks of dialogue and will then need to fill in the holes. Odd but interesting work, trying to make all the puzzle pieces fit just right.

For those of you seeking inspiration today, I wanted to share this cool video I found set to Vivaldi's Winter. The beginning with all the weird masks is the best part.


I should explain that I absolutely love creepy, masked balls. One of my life goals is to throw a lavish ball with masks and gowns and lots of memento mori. I don't know why. It's been a dream of mine since I was about nine and watched this scene from The Labyrinth.


I also love this scene from Much Ado About Nothing. It's much less sinister but the masks still imbue the scene with an underlying sense of danger.


All this talk of masks has reminded me of the Wheelers in Return to Oz. If you haven't seen that movie, I highly recommend it. It's really scary and weird and fantastic.

Okay, back to that Rubik's Cube...

No comments:

Post a Comment