Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Let's Be Spontaneous...Does Tuesday Work For You?

Sometimes I think I'm really awful at having fun. I have to plan to be spontaneous. As in, "Let's do something crazy and spontaneous next Tuesday. No wait, that won't work. I have a lot of work to do on Tuesday and I'm supposed to run errands. How about Wednesday?"

Friends have given up trying to invite me out on a moment's notice. They know I won't go. I've already made "plans" even if those plans involve cooking dinner and finishing that book I've been reading. At least, that's why I think they stopped calling...

The last year or so has been very serious for me. I spent a lot of time in physical therapy for my knee and consequently could not go out much (anything that involved standing or moving was difficult so...yeah.). This summer involved an adventure at BEA but also some pride-killing coffee runs. You know, because I need to be put in my place. Again. (Thank you publishing industry for keeping me humble.) I've kept my head down and revised again and again. We've been careful with money, like the rest of the country. And all my husband's vacation days have been devoted to activities like doctor's appointments and that sort of excitement.

I'm going completely stir crazy. I don't remember the last time I really had fun.

So I'm thinking about doing something crazy. Something unexpected. Something that I can control. I'm sick of waiting around for someone else to say yes, only to hear "no."

And what I want to know is: if you could go anywhere right now, where would it be??

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm the same way. I want to know who I'm hanging out with and where and when, a week ahead of time. If they call me out of the blue to meet up, there's this awkward pause as I try to convince myself that TV show X, Y amount of editing, and dinner Z, can be put aside so I can hang out with someone I haven't seen for weeks or months. I don't think my friends understand that as well as yours, though--I'm just a hermit to them.

    Anywhere right now? Um, library, or uh, a pub in Ireland, or a cafe in Italy. All with a good book in hand, of course. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I am also familiar with those "awkward pauses." Haha.

    Library, Irish pub, Italian cafe--all good choices. I think since it's morning now I'll say I would like to go for a stroll in St. Stephen's Green in Dublin.

    ReplyDelete