Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Squee! Books!

The only thing more satisfying than finding a box of books at my door would have been to purchase them from a cute, local bookstore. Alas, there isn't one in my town and I didn't want to wait until the next time I head up to RiverRun Bookstore in Portsmouth, NH (great store, great people. A must if you're in town!)

The box in question contained three books: Palimpsest, The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden, and The Labyrinth--all by Catherynne M. Valente!!

I do not mess around with my author crushes.

I can't wait to devour these books, to gorge my brain on lush imagery and sensuous sentences. The question now is: Where to begin??? Should I start with Palimpsest since I loved the short story or The Labyrinth and read chronologically. It's enough to keep a girl up at night. Maybe I'll just read each first sentence and see which I love most.

Okay, who am I kidding? I'm totally reading Palimpsest first. I'll let you know what I think when I'm finished.

I know that these books will not help me finish this round of revisions before the end of the month. However I'm getting better at listening to myself. Usually when I want to read, it's because I need to--to refresh my mind, recharge my metaphors, spice up my plot. Either I read nonstop or I don't read at all. So maybe this is a reading hiatus and I should just sit back and enjoy it.

Regardless I will probably waste lots of time and energy arguing this with myself and feeling lots of guilt. Aren't you glad I have this blog, to give you little glimpses into my thrilling life?

No comments:

Post a Comment