Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

Momento Mori

I went for a walk to the post office and the library and then I walked along the beach and watched the tide rush in. On my walk I passed a certain two family house. The family on the left apparently *loves* Halloween because they go all out decorating with tombstones, skulls, spiderwebs, cheesy lights, and black balloons. Very festive.

Today the family on the right has a poster on their door which reads, "It's a girl!" with an image of a baby.

In that moment, as my eyes drifted from the plastic, light up tombstones to the baby picture I couldn't help but smile. I'm as afraid of death as the next person, but I often wish we could just embrace it, acknowledge it a little more. Older cultures used to do that but no longer! Now it's a running sitcom joke to tell little kids that their dog has gone to dog heaven. We can't even acknowledge the death of animals anymore.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting. Only around All Hallow's Eve do we celebrate the dead alongside the newly born.

No comments:

Post a Comment