Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Find The Moments of Joy

The holiday season is upon is. Every year I try to plan ahead so that I can be in the "holiday spirit" when the time comes. I ordered my Christmas cards weeks ago, and most of my shopping is done. I even bought my wrapping paper. But the thing is, no matter how hard I try, I can't plan for every thing.

My husband got a new job, which is very exciting. But we have to be in Vermont for him to start in January. We need to find a place to live and all that. Actually, I'm relieved that they gave us that much time. But it's still keeping me up at night. And of course, after years of faithful service, our car is down for the count. We have to take it in to see what the problem is. My dad thinks it's the muffler and he is (annoyingly at times) always right. I'm hoping we can still drive the three hours to Vermont this weekend to look at places. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime, instead of writing, I've been packing. And wandering around the apartment wondering how on earth we accumulated all this....stuff. Occasionally I wring my hands and watch Gilmore Girls. I have no desire to write Christmas cards or wrap the presents I bought two months ago. It's going to be a weird month.

And we're definitely not getting a tree.

For some reason this seems pretty par for the course this time of year. I'm certainly not the only one feeling out of control and out of my depth. So what are we to do? Well, for starters, get yourself a coffee or eggnog. Put Carpenter's Christmas on repeat. Karen Carpenter's voice has been scientifically proven to heal all wounds, physical and emotional.

And finally, watch this clip. There was a time when my twin and I thought this was the pinnacle of humor and holiday cheer. That time was NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment