Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Wrong Number

This morning at 8 AM, my cell phone rang. I saw that it wasn't a number in my phone, but thought it might be a friend of mine, who sometimes calls from work.

ME: Hello?

CALLER:
(static)...JEN?

ME: Er, yes?

CALLER: JEN!

ME: Who is this?

CALLER: WHERE ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU RIGHT NOW?

ME: Excuse me, but who is calling?

CALLER: Is this Jen Corbert?

ME: No, sorry. You have the wrong number.

CALLER: ::Hangs up::

He didn't even apologize for calling me at 8 AM by accident and then shouting at me like some crazed stalker.

I went back to drying the dishes, and I started to imagine how the call would have gone differently if Betony Monroe, the spunky half dryad protagonist of my current work in progress had answered the phone.

BETONY: Hello?

CALLER: (static)...JEN?

BETONY: No.

CALLER: JEN!?

BETONY: Would you shut up and listen to me? I'm not Jen.

CALLER: WHERE ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU RI--

BETONY: Wouldn't you like to know. ::Hangs up::

Needless to say, I'm really enjoying this new character.

No comments:

Post a Comment