Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hi My Name is Jennifer and I'm a Storyholic

I realized I haven't been blogging much this week. There are two reasons for this:

1. I'm working on a difficult chapter in TCB in which our practical heroine Maggie goes on a blind date with a faerie prince and learns that her normal human city is host to a second, secret fae city that most humans know nothing about. So, there's a lot going on.

2. I've been absorbed by two stories. One is Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier, which is amazing amazing amazing. Even though TCB is set in the modern world, I think this is the best novel so far that I can point to and say, "My novel would appeal to fans of this book." It's the heroine and the pacing and the overall feel, I think. And I *love* it!!! The second is the anime xXxHolic, which is also a manga and is really good.

See, this is what happens when I'm not making my own stories, I just sort of lose myself. I start to disappear. It's nice but is it healthy?

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Me being a writer is like an alcoholic deciding to buy a vineyard and go into the wine business.

I suspect I'm not alone in this. Holla back, story-addicts!

4 comments:

  1. I am reading the xXxHolic manga and have really enjoyed it. Alas, that there's no new volume out. D. Grayman is also really good, I think. It you like Victorian London and people playing off some deadly sins (not stated in those terms, but they fit those roles). Oh! but for my birthday, even though I already have a huge stack of books to read, I received and have been devouring the newest volume of The Sisters Grimm, an MG book about the Grimm brothers' descendants and the fairy tale folk in the modern world.

    ~takes a breath~ I should stop now, shouldn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Ladies. We should have a support group (we could call it a BOOK GROUP--har har).

    So Sabrina, should I get the xXxHolic manga? The other two sound really good, too. And I also want to get Holly Black's WHITE CAT and Malinda Lo's ASH (eek, how have I not read that yet!?). So much to read, so little time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here about Black and Lo's books. I don't know how much the anime does, but there are points when the xXxHolic manga crosses over with Tsubasa. D.Gray-man--(ack! I utterly cannot type today) the focus of the story shifts, but I like the shift and the characters make it enjoyable (even the villains).

    The Sisters Grimm--I've found that a lot of MG deals with kids' emotions in a very interesting way (YA too, I suppose, because I felt the same way about Harry's behavior and attitude sometimes), where I don't agree with what they do or say, but it does seem age appropriate.

    Bookaholics Anonymous, Unite!

    ReplyDelete