Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Low Tech High Five!

Hello, Reader!! Husband and I finally got our computer working again. It's been a dark week and a half or so without a computer. Revising my novel means that I'm reliant on the computer more than usual for my writing so not being able to use it was incredibly frustrating. All of sudden I really felt like I was unemployed, rather than a writer who is also freelancing, working at a bookstore, and teaching kickboxing. It was very isolating. And of course, I missed the internet. Like really really really missed it. By midweek we had rigged up our old computer, which we have kept...for emergencies (or for sentimental reasons. I'm not sure which). All I could do was use Word. Nothing else.

But there was something good that came out of this: I remembered something I'd forgotten. Travel back in time with me, won't you? Let's go back to my childhood, around 1990 when my parents got our first computer. I was so excited. I thought it was the best toy ever. Why? Not because of games--we didn't have any. No, because I could write a story on the computer and PRINT IT OUT (all professional like) and give it to someone (like my third grade teacher, Mrs. Rust) to read. That's it. And it was awesome.

It's so easy to get caught up in the internet and get distracted from writing. I know I should be more adaptable--I should have been able to keep churning out pages on my trusty notebook. But I didn't. I couldn't. Maybe that's okay. Maybe that's just how I write.

It just means next time I better have a backup.

No comments:

Post a Comment