Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

BEA 2011: Wednesday...no, Tuesday again!

Okay, Reader. BEA 2011 feels like it was a bazillion years ago, at least in blog years. In my defense, things have been a little crazy here. Please forgive me.

After my epic Tuesday recap, I realized that Wednesday and Thursday couldn't really compete. Therefore, they are getting smooshed into one post. And they are going to like it!! And so are you.

So, now that a bazillion blog years have passed, I'm thinking back to BEA 2011 through the haze of nostalgia. That means that all those little annoyances are fading.

For example, I decided to take my time getting coffee before I got to the booth on Wednesday. This is because on Tuesday I had been the SECOND EMPLOYEE to show up at my booth and I'm not even technically an employee. The first employee was a sales rep, who immediately asked how old I was.

Reader, do you know of a charmingly clever way of deflecting this question?

You see, I will be THIRTY in less than a year's time and that is apparently a kiss of death for women. It's as if our uteruses stop working and our boobs fall off and we are no longer technically women at all. That's the sort of reaction people seem to have about this particular birthday.

I guess I don't look like I'm almost thirty and that's supposed to be a good thing or whatever. But, it's awkward. And it's rude when people ask. I bet men never get this question. You know why? Because they don't have a society-imposed expiration date. So when a well past middle aged man bluntly asks my age and hears "29" he looks horrified and do you know how this makes me feel? It makes me feel like one of my boobs just started to fall off. Not a good feeling.

Okay, I just realized I am getting caught up in Tuesday again. Bad, naughty Tuesday! Not to mention all those little annoyances that had supposedly faded into the haze of nostalgia.

Let's start over...NEW POST! NEW CUP!
(original John Tenniel illustration for Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)

No comments:

Post a Comment