Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Mary Sue Madness

Hey, Reader. So. While I've been ogling boobs of both the neighborly and paperback variety, a very interesting and thoughtful discussion of Mary Sues has been going on within the literary world.

Did you know of this? Reader, be honest. How could you not keep me in the loop when I told you about the NEIGHBOR'S BOOBS!?!

Anyway, I wanted to share a few links to keep YOU in the loop of this, just in case you're like me and have a tendency to be (Housewife Reference in 3...2...) tardy to the party.

Let me backtrack for you:

1. On Facebook, Ellen Kushner shared a link to her blog in which she linked to...

2. Holly Black's post about Mary Sues, which was partly motivated by...

3. A post by Sarah Rees Brennan, who was responding to a post by...

4. Zoe Marriot, who started this whole crazy and--in my opinion--wonderful conversation.

So if you haven't done so already, I hope you'll follow the Rainbow Bridge here and catch up on what's been happening.

Honestly, I'm just so happy that the conversation is happening at all. Don't criticize a female protagonist just because she has girl parts. May all protagonists be—to borrow a term coined by Sarah Rees Brennan herself, "flawsome!"

PS In other news, I got encouraging feedback on chapter 7 AND I memorized the html for the em dash (see previous paragraph for proof). HOLLA!

No comments:

Post a Comment