Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Young and Restless

I've really enjoyed all the comments about my previous post, either here or on Facebook. It seems like awkward questions and comments about a person's age are not limited to male comments about women, although that's predominantly been my experience and perhaps something I'm particularly sensitive about (Okay, DEFINITELY something I'm sensitive about).

I heard from some guy friends, who had the same experience. Interestingly, they both work in academia, where your age is often scrutinized a bit more in comparison to the undergrads and where you don't have to wear a suit to work, which might otherwise distinguish you from the freshmen.

The comment that intrigued me most was from my aunt, who suggested that part of the issue might be the age obsessed boomer generation, who can't quite believe they're getting older. I would add that my parents' generation is certainly healthier, more active, and much younger looking than their parents were at the same age, so it makes sense that there could be some confusion there. Hell, even though I don't like when people say I look super young (12 is really pushing it), I'm still trying to wrap my head around turning 30. How did that happen, again?

It's been a crazy week so far. Candy and coffee are keeping me going. Writing has once again fallen on the back burner. I'm hoping to rally and get back to it tomorrow. As ever, be kind to yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment