Pages

Monday, July 13, 2009

Good Idea / Bad Idea

Best idea I've had all day:

For Christmas this year my Mother-in-law gave me(among other things) a small jar of fudge sauce. At the time I didn't know what to do with it so I stuck it in my baking cabinet (okay, baking shelf, as I am a poor, unpublished writer) and forgot about it.

But the idea struck me just now--half way through the pint of strawberries I've been systematically inhaling--that the heretofore ignored fudge sauce would make an excellent compliment to the berries.

I also decided that all these revisions probably entitle me to eating said fudge sauce out of the jar with a spoon.

Monday has improved considerably.

Back to the action scene I'm revising. This is what my friend had to say about it:

I'm confused about the part before Maggie goes into the subway. Where's the terror? Where's the desperation? Think of Lord of the Rings, where he turned Frodo's dragged out departure into a harrowing midnight chase scene. That's the kind of urgency I'm looking for here, and I'm just not getting it.

I love how he said he was "confused" as if he's scratching his head and going, "Gosh, I'm confused. I wonder why she didn't make this scene as exciting as she could have." Confused is just code for "disappointed." Even though I know that, it was nice of him to phrase it that way. He's a good friend and a great reviewer!

Am listening to Prodigy's "Smack my B*tch Up" on repeat. Back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment