Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Butterbeer Saga: Part I

Hello, everyone. This past weekend my twin sis and I attempted several varieties of butterbeer to no avail. Actually the final product wasn't bad but it wouldn't be served at The Three Broomsticks so to speak. We didn't try any of the recipes available online (though we might next time), we just tried our own ideas first.

We Bought:
Shipyard's Pumpkinhead Ale
Butterscotch Schnapps
Baileys with Caramel
Cream Soda
Birch Beer

While we didn't feel compelled to make our butterbeer alcoholic, it seemed to us that we had more options if we did. The beer and cream soda created a lovely golden color but the beer was a bit too bitter and the soda a bit too sweet. Also, in case you were wondering, Bailey's curdles in carbonated drinks. It's gross and happens immediately. Therefore we didn't get too far with the Bailey's.

Our best combination was:
2 cups beer
2 cup cream soda
1/2 cup of butterscotch schnapps

My twin suggested that it needed to be more buttery, so we may attempt a hot version next with melted butter and caramels. I will let you know what we come up with next!

Here's an intriguing recipe I found at a blog called Piefinger. (I didn't link directly to the post due to some profanity. I'm trying to consider my more sensitive readers, here!)Maybe we'll try this one next.
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup butterscotch topping
2 tablespoons whipped butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups vanilla cream soda

And here's another non alcoholic recipe that combines cream soda and ginger beer (we were close with birch) and uses butterscotch ice cream to get the butterscotch flavor and frothy, beery look. It's featured on a blog called HELLOmynameisHeather.

*sigh* Apparently I could have done some research before attempting butterbeer but it was fun to try our own concoctions first. Anyone else have a good butterbeer recipe to share?

In other news, Moonrat wrote a wonderful post this morning on the fear of failure. It was something I needed to read and I think you'll like it too. Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment