Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

A Whisper of Spring

Hello, all. It's blustery and gloomy and, in the words of an Australian transplant my husband and I met in Scotland, "wild" outside today. We're only getting rain in Vermont--a lot of rain, but it could be worse. I'd take this wildness any day. First of all, the wind keeps me company and makes me feel like something is happening. There's an energy in the air. And speaking of the air, it smells intoxicating. It's like Spring is screaming to us through the long winter months, through all the long, dark days. She is shouting, "Remember me! Remember the smell of the earth and the warmth of the sun and the sound of bees humming!"

It smells so very good. Like life, and new beginnings, and hope, and adventures, and love.

For those of you who were wondering, my Friday night expedition went well. Luckily when I arrived there was only one girl waiting--the one I'd already met. The next friend to show up was wearing geeky, dark framed glasses like mine, so I liked her right away. The two of them filled me in on the recent romantic troubles of friend #3 and any girl knows that sharing secrets is the fastest way for women to bond. It was definitely more fun than I expected. Phew! So I'm not turning into a completely awkward, recluse writer. Not yet, anyway.

In other news, my crossword obsession has returned. It first developed in 2005 while I was planning my wedding. I just couldn't stop. There's even a picture of me right before I put on my wedding dress with a crossword puzzle in front of me.

Crazy, right? Even the look on my face is all, "Photos? Right now? I'm a little busy here with my crossword puzzles omgI'mgettingmarried!" So it's safe to assume I'm a little (re: reallysupervery) stressed out right now. It maybe could have something to do with our recent move to Vermont, my lack of employment, and the fact that I haven't written in well over a month. I guess it's going to take a while to get back on track.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got about 300 crossword puzzles to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment