Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Sorry, No Cuteness Today

Hi everyone. I wish I could muster up some cuteness today but unfortunately, I just can't.

It's the oil spill that's left me feeling hollow and helpless. It's the things we are doing to our planet--accidentally or otherwise--that hurt it, and the things we are failing to do to protect it.

I want to know when we won't need oil anymore. (Will we get our act together as the human race and figure this out, or are we just going to wait until the oil runs out and are forced to come up with something else?)

I want to know when we're going to wake up and realize that this earth is all we have, and that we need to take care of it, even before--and I really believe this--we take care of each other.

I don't know what I can do as a writer, but I do know that stories--in any form--can help, especially Fantasy and Science Fiction stories. Fantasy to show us a world that could have been and Science Fiction to show us a world that could be. Stories inform and inspire--remember, Asimov invented the term robot and arguably shaped the way we conceptualize artificial intelligence!

Stories provide the ephemeral scaffolding for future inventions and innovations.

I'll leave you with a wonderful, brief review of Miyazaki's film Princess Mononoke, which I think demonstrates this perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment